Thursday, October 30, 2014

TONY BENNETT & LADY GAGA The Dynamic Duo!!



Oh My God!  Whoever thought of these two becoming such a FABULOUS musical pair?  I didn't.  I mean I did love their "Lady is a Tramp" duet a few years ago and was blown away by Gaga's singing of it.  However, one duet, even one great duet does not necessarily give birth to all this!!If you are a fan of popular song, standards, and jazz singing, RUN do not walk to your local music store, or to Amazon and BUY the new CD Cheek to Cheek by Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga. 
Every song is a thrill.  The up tunes are so captivating that I cannot listen to them without at least tapping my foot and at most bursting into song--be it at home or in the car--they grab me by the lapels and set me aflight.  Some favorites are the songs about dance:  "Cheek to Cheek" and "Let's Face the Music and Dance" and my absolute favorite on the album "I Won't Dance".  The ballads that knock me out are the tender and touching duet of "But Beautiful and Gaga's rendition of "Ev'ry Time We Say Good-Bye"--soft, lush, understated, and gorgeous.  There are MANY more songs to thrill to here, and let me say that I bought the collection with bonus tracks: fifteen selections in all, and I am soooo glad for those tracks are among the ones I enjoy most, especially Bennett's rendition of "Don't Wait Too Long".  I have to add that the arrangements and the orchestra are every bit as HOT as Tony & Gaga!  Sizzling! The best of the best.
Last Friday night on PBS Arts Fall Special was a LIVE concert with Bennett & Gaga from New York City's Lincoln Center--definitely one of the most musically thrilling and inspiring concerts I have ever seen in a long career of savoring great singers in live performance.  The music was superb, the delivery consummate whether of whimsy, drama, tenderness, sexiness, or sass.  The most surprising thing, however, was FEELING the closeness of Tony and Gaga.  There is a palpable bond, a kindred spirit quality between them.  An ease.  A shared musical sensibility.  An affection between Tony, who is 88 years old and still singing his heart out--and Lady Gaga, who is 28 years old and singing The Great American Songbook like no one ever suspected she could!  And all of this jumps off the screen!  If it is re-played on PBS or released on DVD, DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW!!
FYI:  Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga are already putting together a follow-up CD to Cheek to Cheek tentatively featuring the music of Cole Porter.  AND, YES they are going on tour!  So far scheduled are two concerts in New York, one in Las Vegas on New Year's Eve, and two in Los Angeles in 2015, one of which is at the Hollywood Bowl on May 30th--the day before my birthday!I think I HAVE to be there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment